Therapy Edinburgh, what to consider...
If you are interested in therapy, Edinburgh, then there are many types of treatment in Edinburgh, and this article is about finding the right treatment and Therapist for you regarding your mental and emotional well being.
In Edinburgh, you have Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (C.B.T.), many different forms of Counselling (Family, Bereavement, Addiction) and types such as Person-Centered, Gestalt, etc, Interpersonal Psychotherapy, Mindfulness Therapy and of course Hypnotherapy.
Before we go any further it is worth knowing that most Therapists are not Clinical Psychologists or Psychiatrists, Psychiatrists are actually Medical Doctors who can prescribe medication and like Clinical Psychologists can diagnose mental health conditions such as Autism, Dyslexia, Psychotic episodes, Schizophrenia, and Bi-Polar disorder.
When browsing the Internet for therapy Edinburgh, you will be struck by just how many of them are in Edinburgh. So many to choose from. There are more Therapists in Edinburgh than there is in Glasgow despite having a much larger population.
So when deciding what Therapy and Therapist are the one for you, I would advise you first to check their verified Google testimonials as some people make them up, believe it or not. Even better, ask friends and colleagues for personal recommendations. These are worth their weight in gold.
If you can't get any recommendations, I would ask to book an initial phone consultation with a Therapist so you can ask any questions you have and you can also get a general experience and feel of the Therapist if you could work with them or not. Most Therapists offer this service.
Some good questions to ask on the phone call are...
1. Are they a full-time professional, as a lot of Therapists are actually what we call "Hobbyists" meaning they usually are working full-time in another job and do therapy as a hobby/second income in the evenings or at the weekend. A good way to find out is to ask them for a daytime appointment during the week!
2. Are they fully insured? This again is a good way of finding out if they are suitably qualified to practice as to obtain professional Indemnity Insurance the Therapist has to provide hard evidence of their qualifications and it reassures yourself that you are in safe hands.
3. Are they a specialist in treating what you are suffering from? Most Therapists are generalists, kind of like a G.P. and treat all types of conditions from O.C.D., Smoking Cessation to Depression and Phobias. The analogy I like to use is that if you have a sore tooth, you go to a Dentist, not a G.P, as the Dentist specialises in Dental Health. Even from there, if you have chronic gum disease you would be referred to a Periodontist who is an expert in gum health... you get the idea?
4. Once you have found the Therapist who is experienced in treating your condition, make sure they are approachable and understand you. Rapport, this is the difference that makes the difference.
5. Do they offer care packages? This is becoming more and more popular as you will get a lot more value as you are not just paying for the actual sessions but usually get a lot of extras such as follow up calls, tasks, and accountability. This can be a lot more cost-effective too.
So in summary, when looking for Therapy, Edinburgh, and Therapists in Edinburgh or indeed anywhere, first make sure they are a fully qualified, insured and have a lot of hands-on expertise of the issue you are looking to have treated. Ask for recommendations, check out their verified testimonials and talk to them first to make sure you could see yourself working with them. The above five points could save you a lot of time, money and false hope.
Andy MacArthur is a Clinical Therapist who specialises in helping people overcome Addictions and related conditions such as anxiety, trauma, and depression. He has been practicing in Edinburgh since 2008 working with clients from all walks of life who are looking for a bespoke plan for getting their life back. If you are interested in Therapy Edinburgh, Hypnotherapy Edinburgh, or Addiction Services Edinburgh with Andy, please contact him.